Fat is an essential part of a runners diet. Skimping on fat can leave you feeling hungry and deficient in key vitamins and minerals. But eat only the right kinds of fat! Runners need unsaturated fats in their diet, foods like avocados, nuts and seeds. Omega-3s are also good for a runner as they have rich inflammation-reducing qualities. Salmon is a good source for omega-3 fatty acid.
Salmon with watercress, roasted Roma tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar. Serves one.
Recipe by Executive Chef/Partner Michael Ferraro of New York City’s Delicatessen
What you’ll need:
- 5 ½ ounce salmon fillet (skin off)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 slice lemon
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup watercress (cleaned/trimmed)
- 2 Tablespoons marinated tomatoes (squeeze off excess oil and roughly chop)**
- Salt and pepper
How to make it:
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high. (You can also use an oven-safe skillet, but you won’t get the grill marks.) Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle salmon with olive oil, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place presentation side down with a point of salmon facing ten o’clock for 2 minutes or until char marks are achieved.
- Rotate salmon to face 2 o’clock and grill for an additional 2 minutes. (If using skillet, simply leave salmon in place.)
- Flip salmon and char bottom side for 1 minute.
- Remove salmon from grill or grill pan and place on baking pan with a slice of lemon and thyme sprigs on top. (If using skillet, just place lemon and thyme on top fish.)
- Drizzle with olive oil, and place into oven at 350⁰F for 2 minutes.
- Removed from oven and allow to rest.
- Toss watercress with tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Serve watercress on side of salmon and drizzle balsamic vinegar over entire dish.
**To marinate the tomato
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Halve and seed one Roma tomato. Toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on roasting pan and bake until it softens, about 15 minutes.
Do you have a recipe and photos you would like to share with Team for Kids runners? If so, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured!