Carbo-loading: What to Eat the Week of the Race
Carbo-loading means more than sitting down to a massive dinner less than 12 hours before race time. Smaller carb-rich meals throughout the week allows your system to better process the carbs you’re taking in. Avoid pastas with heavy cream sauces and pick pastas with lots of vegetables and chicken, or brown rice, potatoes, or omega-rich fish like salmon. And remember, nothing new! This is not the night to try your first plate of sushi.
Pasta with Shrimp, Escarole and Cannellini
Courtesy of Runners World
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb. uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 head escarole, rinsed and coarsely chopped
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
8 oz. corkscrew pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
- In medium skillet, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir one minute.
- Add shrimp and sauté, about three minutes per side, until cooked.
- Remove to bowl. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to skillet. Add escarole and tomatoes and toss until wilted.
- Add beans and cook until heated through.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water and drain pasta.
- Toss pasta with shrimp, bean mixture, reserved pasta water, and fresh mint.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serves 2
Do you have a recipe and photos you would like to share with Team for Kids runners? If so, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured!