Salads do not have to be boring. When temperatures are climbing and your apartment is stifling, turn to the 3 recipes below for a refreshing and healthy meal or side dish.
- ABC Salad– simply grate apples, beets, and carrots for a crunchy side salad. Toss this colorful mix with a simple dressing of oil (vegetable or olive), lime juice, and minced ginger. You can always add low-sodium, canned garbanzo beans to kick up the protein for a more complete meal that’s still no-cook and raisins or dates for sweetness. Garnish with mint.
- Raw Corn Salad– a great alternative to boiling, grilling, or baking ears of corn. Farmers markets are a great place to grab all these ingredients.
- 4 ears of corn, cut raw kernels off cob
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 Tablespoons oil (vegetable or olive)
- ¼ cup vinegar (apple cider or red wine)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Delicious additions: avocado and red pepper
- Directions: Chop and mix all ingredients, and enjoy.
- Strawberry, Fennel, and Orange Salad– fruit salad with a twist! This salad is especially refreshing for hot summer days. From wholeliving.com
- 2 navel oranges
- 8 ounces strawberries (about 16), hulled and quartered or halved
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced lengthwise, fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
- Dressing: Zest one orange, and reserve zest (2 teaspoons). Cut peel and pith away from both oranges. Use a paring knife to cut out the segments, letting them fall into a bowl, along with the juice.
- Directions: Add strawberries, sliced fennel, orange zest, and fennel fronds to the bowl of orange segments and toss together gently. Stir in the lemon juice and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce, toss, and serve.
Recipes courtesy of Lauren Antonucci and Nutrition Energy
Do you have a recipe and photos you would like to share with Team for Kids runners? If so, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured!