What program and site did you visit?
I ran with Young Runners Track Team at Global Technology Preparatory Middle School in East Harlem.
What was your motivation to visit a site?
I’m the music teacher at Global Tech and I really wanted to be able to make a few Young Runners practices this year. I was very open with my students about my training for the NYC Marathon (my first marathon ever!). My students – especially the Young Runners – were so interested by the idea of running a race with a goal of finishing instead of winning. I really got to talk with them about what it was like to decide to do something that I wasn’t capable of doing when I signed up, and show them how to set a goal and accomplish it with a crazy amount of work. I also love getting to know my students outside of my classroom and to see their other interests and strengths.
New York Road Runners’ youth programs better children’s health, self-confidence, self-discipline, perseverance, and capabilities around goal-setting, all of which improve behavior and academic performance. Thank you NYRR Team for Kids runners for raising critical funds to support these programs!
Together, NYRR and teachers got over 215,000 kids moving this year, in New York City and nationwide. Here are some of their stories.
In an effort to connect directly with the youth who benefit from Team for Kids fundraising, we invite you to sign up to volunteer at the NYRR Youth Summer Fest on Wednesday, July 27 at Icahn Stadium. The two shifts available are detailed below.
- Event Assistance (Whole Day) from 8:30am-4:30pm (8 hours)
- Event Assistance (Afternoon) from 12:30am-4:30pm (4 hours)
Responsibilities for this event include:
- Assisting as a Marshal for the 800 Meter Fun Run
- Distributing amenities
- Assisting with activities
- Cheering for participants
If you are interested in volunteering for these +1 opportunities, log in through your My NYRR profile, click “Volunteer” on the left sidebar and then scroll down to the NYRR Youth Summer Fest opportunity and click the “Volunteer” button to move forward with the registration process. Spots will fill up quickly so act fast!
Remember to wear your Team for Kids gear while volunteering and share photos with us by emailing email@example.com or tagging Team for Kids and #teamforkids in your social media posts.
Thanks to fundraising support from New York Road Runners Team for Kids runners, Andrew’s students have new opportunities!
We’re excited to announce a record-breaking school year for youth runners in New York City and across the nation! New York Road Runners Team for Kids runners we are incredibly grateful for all your fundraising efforts in support of NYRR youth programs. Thank you for the endless inspiration and for raising critical funds to serve our youth! Read the full Press Release here: http://bit.ly/2913goq
Team for Kids runners fundraise to provide free NYRR youth running programs, events and resources to over 215,000 youth across the nation. NYRR youth programs empower youth of all athletic abilities to get moving in addition to teaching teamwork, perseverance, and more! The NYRR breadth of services includes school and team-based programs like Mighty Milers and Young Runners, widely-attended NYRR road races and Youth Jamborees, and educational resources like Running Start, NYRR’s award-winning video series for coaching young runners. See below for highlights from the 2015-2016 school year made possible thanks to our Team for Kids runners!
Disparities in Physical Education in NYC
In May 2015, New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer released Dropping the Ball: Disparities in Physical Education in New York City School that reported:
- 26% percent of children in grades K-8 are obese or severely obese
- 32% of NYC’s schools do not have full-time certified PE teachers
- 28% of NYC’s schools do not have dedicated space for PE
NYRR is addressing these disparities and providing free running programming to 37% of New York City schools.
NYRR Youth Program Impact 2015-2016 Highlights
- Served more than 215,000 students locally and nationally through free NYRR youth running programs, events, and resources, including more than 120,000 in New York City’s five boroughs.
- Established running programs in 1000+ schools and community centers nationwide.
- Mighty Milers in the U.S.A. ran over 5.8 million miles.
- Mighty Milers in the U.S.A. earned 121,292 “marathon of miles” medals.
- More than 7,400 public school students participated in NYRR’s Developmental Track & Field Series, a partnership with the New York City Department of Education.
- 165 sites and more than 7,400 kids participated in the NYRR Developmental Track & Field Series presented by Tata Consultancy Services, a partnership with the New York City Department of Education.
- At 2 NYRR Youth Jamborees presented by Tata Consultancy Services, more than 2,400 runners in pre-K through high school participated in a variety of track and field events.
- Nearly 6,500 runners participated in the 9 events comprising the NYRR Youth Running Series.
- More than 3,000 kids participated in 3 Mighty Milers Fun Runs, including more than 650 kids from 27 sites who were a part of the Million Kid Run on Global Running Day at Icahn Stadium on Randall’s Island.
- NYRR Mighty Milers and Young Runners received more than 3,800 free pairs of running shoes as part of The NYRR Sneaker Closet
- NYRR awarded $44,225 worth of books to 378 Mighty Milers sites who ran more than 789,000 miles towards new books as part of NYRR’s Miles for Books initiative.
For current Team for Kids runners, when asking for support, quantify the impact of Team for Kids with the 2015-2016 Youth Program Infographics linked here!
To view additional highlights, social media impact images, and site stories and photos, visit the “Youth Program” category on our blog and visit our Facebook Albums for Global Running Day, Mighty Milers Fun Run, and Young Runners Championships!
We’re excited to announce a record-breaking school year for youth runners in New York City and across the nation! New York Road Runners Team for Kids runners we are incredibly grateful for all your fundraising efforts in support of NYRR youth programs. Thank you for the endless inspiration and for raising critical funds to serve our youth!
Read the full Press Release here: http://bit.ly/2913goq